Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday 22 April 2009

The bo-chap mentality

Weekday morning rush hour. Commuters walking hastily trying to catch a train or bus to work. This is a common sight in Singapore and in many developing and developed countries. But what's missing here?

This morning, a lady was sitting near the door of City Hall-bound platform at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. She was attended by another lady, and I believe they did not know each other. However, there were many onlookers gazing at them as if it was a "show". I volunteered to get help from the MRT staff.

Up went I go towards the Control Room and sought help from 2 staff. One followed me, and he asked his colleague to prepare a wheelchair.

Once the MRT staff has attended to the lady, I left for my train knowing that she would be well taken care of. While in the train, I felt disgusted by the onlookers for not doing anything. Feeling sick and weak in an unexpected place may happen to anyone! Wouldn't they wish that someone lends a helping hand if it happens to themselves or their loved ones?

People, take a moment to think. It's not rocket science but a simple human touch that is lacking here. We not have a simply bo-chap mentality, we also adopt a "aiya, it will not happen to me" mentality.

We certainly do not want our children to grow up in such an environment where there is no basic common sense and TLC.

0 cherubic angels: