Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday 3 November 2009

Is there joy in schooling here?

I feel a little emotional whenever I hear news of school-kid committed suicide. Some as young as in primary schools.

What made them do it? What was the motivation pushing a tiny soul to end the journey?

There are many questions in my head. Was it pressure from school, parents, peers or the society? Was there ever any happiness or joy in our educational system? What is our value system - meritocratic or ??? I don't know the answer. What I do know is the stress all of us have today. We have to cope so many things in a day. For me, coaching Kieran in his school work on weekday evenings becomes a chore. It irks me whenever he doesn't understand what I was explaining. My heart aches and my mind goes bonkers. I don't think I can take it. Initially we thought the after-school care could help, but it doesn't, and so did my friends told me.

So what parents to do?

We enrolled him in Singapore's favourite haunting place - tuition centre. Much to my displeasure. But what can we do? Pop goes our weekends of family togetherness and comes chaotic madness of chauffeuring. I don't know if it's good for Kieran or me; but I really don't know which is best.

AGAIN I stress, I DON'T LIKE OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM! There is no balance, kids are stretched, so are parents. It's like a test to our tensile strength, waiting for the breaking point.

0 cherubic angels: