Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday 17 October 2009

All things kawaii and yummy in Japan


Just returned from a business trip in Tokyo. Weather was fantastic, like you are in an air-conditioned room while walking on the streets.

Japan is full of vibrancy and the fashion magazines are always bundled with attractive gifts to lure people like me to buy. I like some of the gifts featured in one of my favourite bloggers' entries but I could not buy in Singapore due to various reasons, besides not able to understand the language:

1. Highly-priced at Kinokuniya
2. Hardly have the chance to hit town to get
3. Am always too slow to catch up on what's newly arrived here

So I scoured many bookstores in the evenings and it was not futile as 2 eMooks (Jill Stuart's 5th Anniversary and Cath Kidston's Thank You Box) were already sold out at Kinokuniya here. Some bookstores in Tokyo have also emptied these popular eMooks. I also managed to get a Jill Stuart tote from CanCam and a Jill by Jill Stuart cosmetic carry pouch from Spring.

I also bought some pretty stationery and small scarves from Burberry, Paul & Joe Sister and Lulu Guinness. Too lazy to take photos of the scarves as I bought them just hours before my return flight.

Next best thing in Japan is the FOOD!!!! Freshest ever, I can't get enough of toro (fatty tuna) sashimi, unagi and all sorts of raw fish (aji is great too)!!!

A huge surprise came at Grand Hyatt hotel lobby at Roppongi Hills where I was staying when I bumped into Jon Voight (Angeline Jolie's dad). He smiled to me and I said, "Hi, you look familiar!" and he replied, "Hi, you look familiar too." Boy, I was floored. He obliged kindly and may I add, fatherly too when I asked for a photo to be taken with him. When his companion apologised for taking the picture a little too far, I said, "No problem, I can always crop it..." and my new found idol said, "Oh, don't crop me out." Isn't he humourous? He is very handsome, no wonder his famous daughter is so pretty, though she looks very much like her mom.

2 cherubic angels:

Haru said...

Hi,
That's a great haul! I can't wait to go back to Japan sometime too. I used to live in Roppongi, and was usually in Roppongi Hills at least once a week.

Jon Voight looks the same as he did in Mission Impossible!

shopaholic said...

Roppongi is a nice place but too many watering holes there.

In terms of shopping, I prefer Shinjuku. Taka is giving 5% direct discount to tourist, till end Nov, I think.

I had problem getting to Taka Times Square from the Shinjuku Toei Oedo line, the passer-by were not helpful in giving directions when I was at Lumine 1. Worse of all, I got checked by the police at the train station as part of their "security check", I felt like a suspect or something, it was awful.

Jon Voight is very suave, even at his age!