Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday 12 September 2006

Disciplining Kids

I am now at Changi Airport T2 departure hall waiting for my flight to KL and thought I could make use of some time here to update my blog.

This morning on my way to work, I read an aticle on disciplining kids and laying ground rules on page 18 of Today. I agree with the author who is an educator and a mother of 6! Basic manners are important and such should be inculcated when a kids is still an infant - never underestimate how much our behavior may influence our kids. Basic rules should be followed and explained to the kids.

During the 1 week school holiday in Sep, we brought Kieran to his childcare centre and I was shocked that a 5-year old kid said "I smack you" to him shortly after he greeted Kieran. The teacher who was there said nothing but I quickly told the kid that it was wrong of him to say such rude remark and should not say it again. Alas, he said it again and I wonder if he did it on purpose. Yet the same teacher did nothing! I called the centre manager up and told her what happened. I believe that if all of us (teachers, relatives, parents, etc) were to work together to ensure such behaviour cannot be condone, the kids will be more well-mannered and also, refrain from saying "this is my one". It irks me when someone says that!

OK, gotta go for now as the airport free Internet access machine is going to lock me out in 1 minute.

"Music is a discipline and a mistress of order and good manners, she makes the people milder and gentler, more moral and more reasonable." Martin Luther
"The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." Martin Luther King, Jr

0 cherubic angels: